Saturday, 29 May 2010

inspiration



heroes. maybe there is just love, art, music, poetry and writing. i could just post poems after poems after poems. maybe this will be a poetry blog from now on. if i could post entire short stories, i tell you i would. here is a Carol Ann Duffy poem, and a snippet of a Keri Hulme poem/short story. i would like to paint like Keri Hulme writes.

...
Carol Ann Duffy
YOU

Uninvited, the thought of you stayed too late in my head.
so I went to bed, dreaming you hard, hard, woke with your name,
like tears, soft, salt, on my lips, the sound of its bright syllables
like a charm, like a spell.

Falling in love
is glamorous hell: the crouched, parched heart
like a tiger, ready to kill; a flame’s fierce licks under the skin.
into my life, larger than life, you strolled in.

I hid in my ordinary days, in the long grass of routine,
in my camouflage rooms. You sprawled in my gaze,
staring back from anyone’s face, from the shape of a cloud,
from the pining, earth-struck moon which gapes at me

as I open the bedroom door. The curtains stir. There you are
on the bed, like gift, like a touchable dream.

....
Keri Hulme
Tara (the other wing)

(For
all the lonely seas of people
who don't know living till they die)


Here in the afternoon sun, the lesser shafts
stealing through a barier of window/outside
thistlehead demons with bright devil faces
blowing on the silent wind/and inside

still, the stridulation of cicadas gossiping
clicking scandal from powerpole to tree
to holy hilltop rings in my head

I clasp a peach in my hands/while he talks
-It's been bitter he says... the musk of the peach
sweet on my hands...bitter for who?
and deep inside, the cyanide pit.

-You disturb me he says...the peach juice drips
he grips a finger pointed to groin
until blood swells it stiff - I have this this
unthinking ache

I smile at the cream of the joke
my own addition
-the laughter

No comments: